Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Starbury




New York City, First Precinct Police Department: A haggard and grim chief of police stares at his office phone, mulling over what he knows he must do. Reflexively, out of the corner of his eye he glances at the paper work still left unfilled from his own sexual harassment suit that took place earlier in the summer. He sighs and pages for his assistant, "James, please send in Detective Starbury."

Starbury: "You wanted to see me?"
Commissioner Zeke: "That's right, Starbury, please, take a seat."
Starbury: I can tell by your demeanor this is no social call, what's up Chief?"
Zeke: "This isn't easy for me to tell you, but, I had to tell you man-to-man; I'm taking you off the case and puttting Collins in charge of the investigation. I'm sorry."
Starbury: "Chief, that's bullshit! You know it's bullshit, why are you doin' this? What's this bullshit really about?"
Zeke: "Please calm down, it comes down to what I need our force to do. You're a loose cannon. You completely botched the deal in the Don Gonzalez case, you forced the issue and now the DA's office is breathing down my neck asking why we don't have more results."
Starbury: But Chief, our men, excuse me, your men won't even listen to a new jack like Mardy Collins, they'll fucking eat him alive!"
Zeke: -Voice Rising- "Now you listen to me you son of a bitch, I don't give a fuck where you work and if you don't watch it, I'll have you filing parking tickets in fuckin' Astoria in a heartbeat. You work for me and for our force and never fucking forget that. Now get the fuck out of my office."

Starbury rises from chair and exits the office.

Starbury -to himelf- "This isn't over. No way. I've got so much shit on Zeke. He thinks he can get me, but I'll get him first. You have no idea what I know."

Surely, TO BE CONTINUED

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have discovered the allegorical mode. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

so explain to me what this is all about...is this a tony ritz short story or something in the news i don't know about?

Tony Ritz said...

It's indeed an allegory of a basketball player named Stephon Marbury, aka, Starbury. His coach benched him and Starbury decided not to play...it's not funny as is and probably vastly less-funny if you don't know what's going on. Will that stop me from making a three or four part serial of it? Heck NO!